Academic Areas: .
Prof. Mao was born in Shanxi province in 1964. As a doctoral supervisor in the School of Mechanical Science and Technology, Huazhong University of science and technology, he is now the deputy director of the Department of Mechanical Design. He graduate from Xi'an Jiaotong University and obtained a doctorate of mechanical design and theory in 1999. He accepted a post-doctoral position in Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), his research projects was regarding to the laser-machining techniques. He got a position as a college lecturer in 2001 and went to Chinese University of Hong Kong working as a research assistant. Prof. Mao is now working in HUST since from 2002. His Major Research Direction includes: machine tool dynamics, machining dynamics and vehicle engineering. Prof. Mao has in charge of many national research projects, in regard to new methods of experiment modal analysis research of NC equipment, high precision control of high speed NC machine tools, and dynamic comprehensive compensation technology of heavy duty machine tools.
1983.09-1987.07 Baoji Teacher's College Bachelor
1990.09-199607 Xi'an Jiaotong University Master
1996.09-1999.07 Xi'an Jiaotong University Doctor
1987.09-1990.07: Math teacher in Fenxiang Teachers College.
1999.09-2001.08: Postdoctoral researcher in Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
2001.09-2002.09: Research assistant in Chinese University of Hong Kong.
2002.10 to now: Work as a teacher in Huazhong University of Science and become the deputy director of the Department of Mechanical Design in 2007.
 Mao Kuanmin, Li Bin, Wu Jun, Shao Xinyu. Stiffness influential factors-based dynamic modeling and its parameter identification method of fixed joints in machine tools. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. Vol. 50, Issue 2, (2010), P. 156-164.
 Mao Kuanmin, Zhu Ming, Xiao Weiwei, Li Bin. A method of using turning process excitation to determine dynamic cutting coefficients. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. Vol. 87, (2014), P. 49-60.
 Xiao Weiwei, Mao Kuanmin, Li Bin, Lei Sheng. Contact stiffness of bolted joint with different material combination in machine tools. Journal of VibroEngineering. Vol. 7, Issue 16, (2014), P. 3281-3293.
 Xiao Weiwei, Mao Kuanmin, Zhu Ming, Li Bin, Lei Sheng, Pan Xiaoyan. Modelling the spindle-holder taper joint in machine tools: a tapered zero-thickness finite element method. JOURNAL OF SOUND AND VIBRATION. Vol. 333, Issue 22, (2014), P. 5836-5850.
 Kuanmin Mao, Xiaolei Huang, Hongliang Tian, Bin Li. Identifying dynamic parameters of fixed joints in machine tools and its fitting method. Journal of Huazhong Univ. of Sci. & Tech. (Natural Science Edition), Issue 03, (2011), P. 18-21.
 Kuanmin Mao, Bin Li. Response signals based structural modal parameter identification. Journal of Huazhong Univ. of Sci. & Tech. (Natural Science Edition), Issue 07, (2008), P. 77-80.
 Kuanmin Mao, Bin Li, Bo Xie, Yaoqiang Wei. Dynamic modeling of the movable joint on rolling linear guide. Journal of Huazhong Univ. of Sci. & Tech. (Natural Science Edition), Issue 08, (2008), P. 85-88.
 Kuanmin Mao, Jun Ye, Bin Li. Development of Rapid Dynamics Modeling System of Machine Tool Based on PATRAN. Journal of chinese mechanical engineering, Issue 10, (2008), P. 1144-1148.
1. Research on dynamic characteristics and comprehensive stiffness of the gantry beam driven by linear motor. This work was supported by a grant from the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (863 Program) (No. 2005AA424224) from 2005 to 2007.
2. Research on dynamic behavior evolution and high precision control of the high speed NC machine tool. This work was supported by a grant from the Major State Basic Research Development Program of China (973 Program) (No. 2005CB724101) from 2005 to 2010.
3. Research on reliability modeling and evaluation technology of the heavy NC equipment based on dynamic characteristics analysis. This work was supported by a grant from the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (863 Program) (No. 2006AA04Z407) from 2006 to 2008.
4. Research on the dynamic comprehensive compensation technology of heavy duty machine tool. This work was supported by a grant from the Major National S&T Program (No. 2009ZX04014-024) from 2009 to 2010.
5. Research on the new method of NC experiment modal analysis based on the self-excitation. This work was supported by a grant from the National Natural Science Foundation of China （No. 50875098） from 2009 to 2011.
6. Research on accurate dynamic modeling method of the fixed joint unit of high-speed NC machine tool. This work was supported by a grant from the National Natural Science Foundation of China （No. 50975104） from 2010 to 2012.
7. Research on the intelligent control technology and system of high-grade equipment for high efficiency low damage and safe processing. This work was supported by a grant from the Key Projects in the National Science & Technology Pillar Program （No. 2012BAF08B01） from 2012 to 2014.